Sponsored by

Are you suffering from Athritis?

Click here to learn about how Therapain Plus MSM and Glucosamine can help!


Types of Arthritis

Rheumatoid Arthritis
Psoriatic Arthritis
Reiter’s syndrome
Canine Arthritis
Canine Osteoarthritis
Paget's Disease
Ankylosing Spondylitis

Arthritis Treatment

Arthritis Treatment the Safe and Natural Way
Cherry Supplement
Topical Analgesics
Arthritis Doctor
Arthritis Diet
Arthritis Exercise DMSO
Devil's Claw Doxycycline
Yoga and Arthritis
TNF and Anti-TNF
Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate
Evening Primrose
Arthritis Support Groups
Osteoarthritis Exercise Treatment

Arthritis Surgery

Knee Replacement
Hip Replacement
Hand and Wrist

Arthritic Areas

Joints and Arthritis
Lumbar arthritis
Shoulder Arthritis

Arthritis Articles

Facts about Arthritis
Joint Trauma and Osteoarthritis
Arthritis and Depression
Anxiety and Arthritis
The Role of Sports and Activity in Osteoarthritis
Imaging and Osteoarthritis
Arthritis Resources
Pet Arthritis



Arthritis Doctor


            There is no one “arthritis doctor”.  Many different medical specialties treat patients with arthritis.  Ultimately, the optimal situation is a team of physicians and other health care professionals working together to provide the arthritis patient with the best overall medical care. 

Typical medical specialists that treat arthritis include rheumatologists, internists and family practice doctors, physical medicine and rehabilitation doctors, and orthopedists.  Physical therapists, occupational therapists, nutritionists, psychologists, chiropractors, and acupuncturists all also play a role in the optimal treatment of the arthritis patient.

A rheumatologist is a doctor that specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of arthritis and other diseases involving the joints, muscles, and bones.  A rheumatologist has completed the same training as an internist or pediatrician and an additional two or three years of fellowship training in rheumatology.  While many family practice doctors and internists may feel comfortable managing most cases of osteoarthritis, and simple cases of rheumatoid and other inflammatory cases of arthritis, more complicated cases of inflammatory and autoimmune arthritis patients are often referred for specialty care from a rheumatologist.

A physical medicine and rehabilitation specialist also treats patients with arthritis.  Physical medicine and rehabilitation doctors specialize in optimizing patients’ function.  They also specialize in nonoperative care of a variety of musculoskeletal disorders.

            When surgery is being considered, an orthopedist may be consulted.  An orthopedist is a doctor who specializes in the treatment of bones and joints.  Orthopedists are similar to physical medicine and rehabilitation doctors except that orthopedists perform surgery.  Orthopedists and physical medicine and rehabilitation doctors often work closely in conjunction together to offer the best non-surgical, and, when necessary, surgical, and post-surgical care to the patient.  

 If you are suffering from joint pain, it is important that you do not try to diagnose yourself.  See your physician.  You can see your internist or family practice doctor.  Or, depending on your insurance, you may make an appointment with a rheumatologist, physical medicine and rehabilitation doctor, or orthopedist.  The first step in treatment is accurate diagnosis.  What may appear to you to be a simple case of knee osteoarthritis needs to be appropriately evaluated to make sure that there is not a more serious underlying disorder going on that requires prompt medical attention.  Once a diagnosis is arrived at, work closely with your physician and your entire arthritis treatment team to start feeling better sooner rather than later so you can get back to enjoying the activities that make you happiest and most fulfilled.










 Arthritis MD. © 2005